Want to write for HockeyKE?
As one of Kenya hockey’s most popular and widely visited independent sites, we’re now in the process of recruiting talented contributors to join our ranks. If you have an interest in writing and a love for talking about hockey, this might be the place for you!
We’re looking for writers to cover club news, match previews and reviews, features and editorials. If you’re looking to start a media-focused career, or are just a passionate Kenya Hockey fan looking to advance the conversation, there isn’t a better place to start than with HockeyKE!
Reasons to write for HockeyKE
Starting Point – We feel that the HockeyKE website is what you make of it. You can really help turn this site into one of the largest and most respected Kenyan Hockey website on the internet.
Making a name for yourself – As the HockeyKE website grows over time, so will your name in the field hockey writing community. It’s incredibly hard to get a journalist job at a mainstream media outlet, let alone as a sports writer. Writing here is a good stepping stone to bigger opportunities.
An active audience – HockeyKE provides the best platform to engage with other fans and promote your work. HockeyKE gives you access to more than 3000 page viewers per day across our various platforms which include the website, social media profiles and mobile app. You don’t need to promote yourself because others can find your article if they search a topic you write about!
The importance of objectivity
We get that you’re probably a supporter of one of the hockey clubs and therefore there may be a hint of bias in your articles, but we feel that the website needs to maintain some objectivity in all our writings. Balancing your love for the club/team you support with reasoned analysis will probably be the most difficult part of your writing, and we will be realistic in our expectations that it won’t always be easy to hide your allegiances, but we need our contributors to look at both sides of the coin if and when possible.
What should you write about?
There are loads of subjects that can be covered on the HockeyKE website. We have opportunities in:
- News coverage – Breaking news, big news, small news, transfer rumors and club news
- Analysis – The heartbeat of our site is analysis of the game. This includes match preview and reviews
- Features – Most likely a weekly series focus, including player profiles, transfer targets e.t.c.
- Editorials – If you have a voice for writing, and/or have something to share with hockey fans, this could be the place for you. Personal interest stories, long-form articles, interviews with players or management — there could be many possibilities if this interests you.
- Create your own – Or maybe you have something unique to bring to the table. If you love advanced stats and want to write a weekly feature on some statistical observation, this is the perfect place to do so.
How to start writing
Send an email to [email protected] with your name, email address, WhatsApp contact No., Facebook/Twitter handle and any previous articles that you feel express your writings. If you don’t have one, pick any of the topics listed above and write an article about it (not more that 500 words).
We will review your application and if accepted will create a ‘contributor’ account for you so you can publish directly to our site subject to a review by one of our editors. If you submitted a new article with your application and it was of a good enough quality we’ll publish it straight away should you wish us to do so.
This is your chance to be a part of something special, we look forward to getting you involved on the HockeyKE website.