Greensharks 1-2 Kenya Police: 3-point review

Leaders Kenya Police came from a goal down to beat Greensharks 2-1 in a Kenya Hockey Union men's Premier League match at the City Park Stadium, Nairobi on Sunday.

Kenya Police moved an inch closer to winning the men’s Premier League title with a victory over Greensharks on Sunday at the City Park Stadium. The result lifted Kenneth Kaunda’s men to 64 points, 13 ahead of second placed Butali.

Here’s a 3-point review of the match:

Bright start, blunt end
Greensharks kicked off the match with blistering pace. The deployed a high press, closed down Police when they had the ball to deny them space and played quick passes when in possession. This was evident as Chris Wokila fired the Sharks ahead in the sixth minute from a forced error due to the high press.

Kenya Police couldn’t handle Greensharks in the earlier stages of the game. They were unable to string more than 3 passes. The defenders were unable to mark the runners and were easily opened up with incisive passes.

Greensharks kept the intensity but couldn’t do it for long. They started to lose possession easily and fell too deep in defense allowing Kenya Police to dominate midfield play. This allowed Police to equalize through a poacher’s goal by Amos Barkibir in the 30th minute. Greensharks had too many turnovers which were costly; Police capitalised on this to score the winner 8 minutes later.

By the fourth quarter, Greensharks looked devoid of both ideas and confidence and were pushed back most of the time. They couldn’t get out of their own half.

Mental Strength
Kenya Police no doubt played like champions. Despite going down early in the first quarter, they were able to buckle up and maintain pressure throughout the game. After going a goal down they had to change the shape a bit and play more direct, looking for an equalizer.

It was a hard fought win and a wonderful response after last weekend’s loss to underdogs Western Jaguars.  They were able to pick themselves up to take all the 3 points after conceding so early in the game.


Aggressive Play
Both teams are known for this and it was no different in this match. Frustrations grew as the game progressed and the umpires had a difficult time handling tempers from both sides.

The disciplined forces were the most indisciplined side raking up 4 cards (2 Yellow and 2 Green) compared to Greensharks’ 2 (1 Yellow, 1 Green). Greensharks average 2 cards per game!

The fourth quarter was unplayable with too many breaks due to either malicious fouls or players getting injured. The umpires flashed 3 cards during this time..


Match Details:
Competition: Premier League
Date: 10th December 2017
Kick-off Time: 17:00 UTC+3
Venue: City Park Stadium

Greensharks 1-2 Kenya Police
Greensharks: Chris Wokila 6′
Kenya Police: Amos Barkibir 30′, Calvins Kanu 38′

Show More

Simon Mwangi

Field Hockey enthusiast and player, who loves living a peaceful life. Looking to grow this sport we all love and cherish in a different way - through cutting edge stats and analysis. Also a branch manager and webdev at a startup. Currently going through my coaching badges as well ;-)

Related Articles


Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker